A Hidden Safari

The title of this project is titled "Hidden Safari" for a good reason! You can't see from this picture, but there is an elephant drawn on the sheet that has a lot of pattern on it. Before we worked on the art project, our instructor went over content about what animals would be found in a safari environment. We were then asked to choose a picture of an animal in the safari. I chose an elephant. On a white sheet of printer paper, I drew the cartoon elephant with a very light blue colored pencil. It's important to draw lightly for this project. After I finished drawing the elephant with the light blue color, I then started layering the sheet with patterns drawn on with warm colors. I chose yellow, orange, and red. This hid my drawing pretty well. Then, I was given a note card to write three clues about what animal I drew. Then, I glue on my notecard and drawing to a red piece of construction paper to act a good border for my drawing.
The hidden magic behind this project is that if you take a piece of red film and turn them into goggles using construction paper, it helps you see the hidden elephant! This is a project that could get your students feel like magicians!

An extension activity to this would be integrated with history and you could title it "Hidden Figures". The same process would be used, but instead of them choosing an animal, students would choose and important person in history. They would draw this person with the light blue pencil and then use warm colors on top of the blue drawing. They could then write three clues about the hidden figure. We could hang these projects up and other students could go around and guess who the hidden figures are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstract Art With Words

Paper Mosaics